Monday, March 16, 2015

Geo 1095: March 15, Day 804: Confluence

Our last stop before we headed into Cave Junction for lunch, then back to I-5 and up the road to the old nickle mine at Riddle, was at the confluence of Grayback (I think) and Sucker Creeks. Klamath streams that drain fairly large areas can be a gold mine (metaphorically speaking) for finding odd rock types and all sorts of fine, weird structures. I don't recall anything notable in terms of rocks here, and I don't think I carried any of this spot home... but it was quite pretty.

Photo unmodified. May 9, 2013. FlashEarth Location. (Fairly, but not completely, confident about this one.)

2 comments:

Lyle said...

Of course the main Kalamath river and some side streams are litteraly gold mines as mining was done in the past, and it appears some still keep trying.

Lockwood said...

I was thinking about making a comment to that effect. This is a tributary to the Illinois River, which had some gold, and just over the state line is the Smith, which still supports some small-time operations.