Monday, January 19, 2015

Geo 1095: January 19, Day 749: Across The Amphitheater

I don't know if there's a broadly agreed-upon geological term for this sort of feature; I've been avoiding calling it a "cave," instead calling it an alcove, a ledge, an overhang, et cetera, but those terms, maybe with the exception of overhang, have other meanings as well. Certainly in the area where I grew up though, southeastern Ohio, this would've been called a cave, no two ways about it. See Ash Cave and Old Man's Cave, both in Hocking Hills State Park. It may be my emotional attachment to Ash Cave that makes North Falls at Silver Falls one of my favorite waterfalls in Oregon, if not the most... we have so many, it's difficult to rank them. I look at the photo above, and wonder if, like Ash Cave, this was a favored shelter by Native Americans. I can't see how it wouldn't be.

In terms of geology, there are some nice columns to the right bottom of the plunge.

Photo unmodified. August 30, 2012. FlashEarth Location (approximate).

No comments: