Sunday, November 9, 2014

Geo 730: November 9, Day 678: Log, Log, Log!

I'll spare you the bulk of the photos I took of this beautiful petrified log we found at the visitors' center at Cascade Locks. I'm pretty confident this is from The Eagle Creek Formation, which contains a lot of petrified wood and leaf fossils, and has been dated as early Miocene in age. So it's younger than similar-looking plant fossils in the Sweet Home-Quartzville area, which are Oligocene. I haven't found a good on-line reference to The Eagle Creek Formation, but Interzone's wi-fi is having another difficult day, so I haven't been able to review some possibilities. I will post another shot of this log tomorrow, and I'm hoping by then I can find some more useful information.

Photo unmodified. October 10, 2012. FlashEarth Location.

Update: Via a conversation with @Morphosaurus, I found a version of the cartoon "advertisement' referenced in the post title:

No comments: