Sunday, October 19, 2014

Geo 730: October 19, Day 657: Otter Crest Outlook

The view from Otter Crest has become my favorite along the central coast. It's a spot I visited once, maybe twice early in my undergrad years, then forgot how to get to it. It's off of 101, and access is easy to miss if you're not looking for it. So on my first recent visit, last year, I was pretty well blown away by the view. On our July trip this year, we arrived near high tide; during my previous two visits last year, the tide was low. You can see the difference it makes by comparing the above photo with this view. In this photo, you can see the ring dikes where they run offshore, but they're almost totally hidden in the water. I really want to get out there for a good negative tide at some point, to take a closer look at the intrusive contacts between the CRB and what was, at the time, unconsolidated sediment of the Astoria Formation. Yaquina Head is on the middle horizon at the top.

Photo unmodified. July 15, 2014. FlashEarth Location.

No comments: