Friday, October 17, 2014

Geo 730: October 16, Day 654: Otter Crest and Otter Rock

I'm still not convinced I have the place names down correctly for this area, but I think the headland is Otter Crest, while the island farther out and to the south is Otter Rock. And of course, currently, there are no native otters in Oregon. There is a Washington population, and a California population, and occasionally one or a few will come into our state. But other than otters in captivity at the Oregon Coast Aquarium in Newport, and (I think) at the Oregon Zoo in Portland, we have none native. On the other hand, we do have plenty of Columbia River basalt in these two resistant rocks. Frankly, I'd rather have less CRB and more sea otters.

Photo unmodified. July 15, 2014. FlashEarth Location.

No comments: