Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Geo 730: June 25, Day 541: Bushnell Rock

A few miles up the road from the Giardet Winery, one finds Bushnell Rock. It's much quicker than finding its name... a long story with which I won't bore you. About an hour long, in fact. This was an auspicious find, a place that I had stopped, at least two or three times, on other field trips. While we were at the winery, I kept catching my attention wandering to the peaks in the distance, and finally asked our guide, "If we go up the road a few miles, is there a big, bare, rocky peak?" The answer was yes, so after leaving, Dana and I headed up the road, and sure enough, there it was, just as I recalled. The funny thing is, if Dana hadn't needed to go to the bathroom when she did, necessitating a stop at the winery, I don't think I could've found this spot in a week of searching. I'm pretty sure, based on an outcrop where we stopped after we turned around, that we're looking at a conglomeratic facies of Lookingglass Formation.

Photo unmodified. March 9, 2012. FlashEarth location. (As always, the location is approximately where I was standing; the rock is off to the ENE of the crosshairs.)

No comments: