Friday, June 20, 2014

Geo 730: June 19, Day 535: Cut and Fill?

After looking more carefully at Tuesday's photo, I'm no longer convinced that this is Tyee... It *might* be Lookingglass Formation. The former is derived from either the Idaho Batholith or something similar nearby. Lookingglass is derived from erosion of the Klamath terranes. If this was Tyee, I'd expect a larger proportion of granite/granite-like clasts, and I'm just not seeing them. Add to that, I'm almost certain that our next stop, a winery, is on Lookingglass, so that may very well be what we're on here, too.

I'm not at all certain about this, but I think that on the left, about midway up the face, I'm seeing a cut-and-fill channel structure. It's also visible in yesterday's photo, in the right middle. That increases my confidence, but between the general fuzzing of the rockfall netting, as well as the poor definition of the beds, I'm not convinced enough to call it from 2+ years away.

Photo unmodified. March 9, 2012. FlashEarth location. (This is probably accurate to within 10-20 miles. Sorry, no clue.)

No comments: