Friday, January 8, 2010

Helmcken Falls

Last Saturday, I posted this picture of a waterfall:
...with a request for an identification. Earlier today, Silver Fox had the presence of mind to go back to the source blog, TYWKIWDBI, and found that a commenter had identified it as Helmcken Falls, north of Kamloops, British Columbia. More pictures here, Wiki here.

The reasons I was so curious are that this very much looks like my home ground in terms of rocks, landscape and trees, and I know my home ground, particularly Oregon, well. Second, this is clearly a big waterfall; I would have guessed several hundred feet minimum. It turns out to be 463 feet. And third, while similar to a number of other falls I've seen, in detail, it didn't quite match any of them. I've been to Kamloops twice, but not to the falls; in fact, I'd never heard of them.

Others that I considered or were suggested included South Falls at Silver Creek Falls State Park, Tumalo Falls near Bend, Salt Creek Falls, and Snoqualmie Falls in Washington.

Thanks to Silver, Minnesotastan for bringing this to my attention, and everyone who left comments or sent emails. Though I've not seen it in person, this may be one of the most beautiful waterfalls in North America.

No comments: