Thursday, July 23, 2009

Time Warp Redux

I recently received another submission for the Time Warp! Accretionary Wedge... from Nigeria! I had no problem rolling it in, but I felt uncomfortable just sticking it in there without drawing attention to it in some way. It was of particular interest to me; I presume that, like me, most US-trained geologist don't know much about African geology beyond the EA Rift and South Africa's incredible proterozoic mineral wealth. I hadn't realized that NW Africa is the site of a suspected failed rift... but looking at the geometry of the South American-African rifting process, it seems in retrospect an obvious conjecture- even an obvious conclusion to leap to. Thanks Ikenna!

I don't know how (or even if it's possible) to link to the middle of a post, but the above entry is about the middle (Cretaceous). And actually, it would be easier just to click over and read the submission on site instead of just an excerpt in the middle of a long post.

No comments: