Friday, July 17, 2009

Ice... Must... Have... Ice...

Today and yesterday have been miserably hot; mid-90's. And while the dewpoint (dp) and relative humity (rh) are low by midwestern, southern and eastern US standards (55 degrees and 27% respectively), for us spoiled northwesters, any dp much above 50 starts to feel muggy. As I've noted before, once you get accustomed to thinking in terms of dp, it gives a better sense of uncomfortableness than rh. For example, if it's 60F, with a dewpoint of 55, it will feel clammy. If it's 93F with a dewpoint of 55, it will feel muggy- at least to people acclimated to the NW climate.

So while I was over at Accuweather, looking to put some numbers on my misery, I thought I'd take a look at the probabilty of ice in the forecast...
0% likelihood, with 0 inches accumulation most probable. Doesn't look promising. Tonight's low is predicted to be 57, and tomorrow's high 87... maybe we'll get some ice then.

Followup: Not really an alternative to ice, but maybe an upside. Dang it! Forgot I don't have a car...

2 comments:

Mule Breath said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mule Breath said...

Today was the first in the past 10under triple digits. Day before yesterday it was 105 under my porch cover. Thanks to a cool front and a little rain shower, it only got to 98. What a relief!