Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Congratulate Al Franken, and a Dedication

As I'm sure most of my readers know, yesterday the Minnesota Supreme Court upheld Al Franken's victory in that state's Senatorial election last fall. And Coleman quickly conceded, choosing not to take the last litigation step available to him: appeal to the US Supreme Court.

Thank God.

I tend not to bother commenting on news that I feel has disseminated quickly and widely, unless I have a perspective that I haven't seen expressed well elsewhere. And there are a lot of bloggy pundits out there who are better informed and sharper than me, so I don't comment on big news too much, and I hadn't been intending to comment on Franken's victory.

But MoveOn.org just sent me an opportunity to leave a message on Franken's virtual victory card, and doing so was a strangely fulfilling experience that I wanted to pass along. Below is Franken's messge to MoveOn members, and here's the link to sign the card.

What a day! I just wanted to take a moment amidst all this to say thank you to the MoveOn members in Minnesota and across the country.

Paul Wellstone understood that real change comes from the ground up. And there's really no better example of that than MoveOn.org.

You've been there for me since the beginning. And I look forward to working with you as a U.S. senator to make the progressive vision we all share into a reality: affordable health care for all, new jobs from clean energy, and an economy that works for everyone.

Thank you for all you do.

Senator-elect Al Franken

Congratulations, Al! This one's for you! It's time to make politics funny again.

1 comment:

Dean Wormer said...

I hope he's a Wellstone brand firebrand in the senate.

Gratz Al!