Saturday, June 6, 2009

Not Going to Read This...

...but I will comment on it. I've been hearing for a while that Rod Blagojevich's wife was going to be doing a reality series. Fine. I won't watch it. I find the idea offensive. "Reality TV" is arguably the worst media idea ever. The idea of taking psychopaths and using them for their "entertainment" value is, well, psychopathic.

How much time each day do you spend watching (for its entertainment value) traffic go by on a moderately busy street? Not much, I would guess. But what if you knew of a street where you could go and reasonably expect to see a horrific multi-car accident with terrible, gut-turning injuries and fatalities every few minutes? Would you go stand in a safe viewing area for an hour or two each day, just to be entertained by the carnage? Or would you be sickened by the very idea of calling such an activity "entertainment?" Would you support the vendors who made a living selling refreshments in the stands?

At long last,

have you finally become

comfortably numb?

1 comment:

Utah Savage said...

Having been an actor, I too hate the very idea of "reality" TV. It means you don't have to pay professionals.