Saturday, April 4, 2009

The Heart of the Planet and Heart Disease

Science people are often hard-pressed to explain or give examples of how "basic" or "theoretical" science is justified, when there are so many "application" or "practical" science problems waiting to be solved. We all know that basic science pays off in the long run, but it's often difficult to explain to a non-science person how this is so. I know in my case, my background is geology, but I haven't earned an advanced degree in science, and I consider myself a generalist overall. Following the geoblogs, I often find myself fascinated by how geology has changed over the 20-some years since I got my BS. So frequently, the examples of payoffs from basic science are understandable when I carefuly read through them, but they're far enough outside my knowledge comfort zone that I readily forget them... I remember reading about them when prompted, but I can't recall details, and I certainly can't explain them in such a way that a non-science person would understand.

But I think I may remember this one: it's clear, simple and easy to understand and explain. Theoretical computer modeling of the birth of terrestrial planets has already saved a life!

Geologists studying how molten metal coagulates at the centre of planets while they are forming have discovered that their research can also be used to investigate blood flow in the human heart. Their work has already helped surgeons find the location of a potentially life-threatening blood clot in a patient's heart. Using sophisticated computer modelling developed to explore the flow of liquid metal through rocks, the scientists were able to show doctors where the patient's blood was gathering in a pool in their heart due to a blood clot.
From The Telegraph: How astrophysics could save heart patients. Amazing!

1 comment:

Dean Wormer said...

That's pretty neat. Geology and medicine are not fields you would assume would compliment each other like that.