Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Sort of a "State of the Union" ...And Bingo!

The busiest my blog has ever been was during October, when for some reason Google listed it as the number one place to find McCain Bingo. I might pass October's numbers this month... it'll be close. But on the off chance it might help, I'm providing a link to an article with an embedded Barack-o-Bingo generator (sample above).

I have mixed feelings about watching his speech. For one, I've been following developing events pretty carefully, and don't really expect to learn much of substance. For another, I suspect that any "surprise policy initiatives" would first, not really strike me as too surprising, and second, really only have PR value. The repiglicans have made it clear that they will be damned before they go along with anything Obama proposes. In fact, the strongest motivator for me to actually watch the speech is so I can watch Bobby Jindal's rebuttal with the appropriate context... not that context has made any difference to GOP policy recommendations over the last 15 years. Economy stressed? Cut taxes! Governement running trillion dollar deficits? Cut Taxes! Starting an illegal war against a toothless dictatorship on lies and trumped-up "evidence?" Cut Taxes! Suzy and Billy picked up head lice at their run-down, collapsing elementary school? Cut their taxes! And give them vouchers!

In other words, the comedy of the rebuttal is about the only value I expect I would get out of watching Obama's speech. And that, to me, is more depressing than the very real prospect of an economic depression. Are you planning on watching?

2 comments:

Silver Fox said...

Not watching!

Interesting that October was also my highest month, but I've already exceeded it this month, a month shorter by 3 days.

Dean Wormer said...

I was working late last night and streamed the speech to my desktop. It was a great speech, IMHO. So refreshing to have an intelligent president.