Thursday, November 13, 2008

More Water

Oddee has a post on "10 Most Unique Lakes of our World." I was blown away by the first choice, the Plitvice Lakes in Croatia, a series of sixteen lakes connected by waterfalls. I don't think I've seen pictures of this before. The multiple outlets are kind of odd, and I'm wondering if this isn't an area of calcite deposition. Erosion would tend to emphasize one outlet, and more flow would tend to positively reinforce that. Deposition would tend to restrict outlets, causing overflow elsewhere. Whatever the cause, it's gorgeous.

Oh, and number nine is a few hours down the road from me, but photos can't capture the surreal sapphire blue of that lake.

The title is due to a realization of how many water-related posts I've had over the last few days. Kind of ironic, now that the rain has stoppped and the sun's out.

No comments: